June 20, 2017
BetterDistricts is a personal project that I’ve been working on for awhile.
I think that there is something fundamentally broken about how our government is working. I believe that a lot of the symptoms that we see:
- Feeling that no one is actually listening
- Inability to get anything done
- Shouting past each other
- No real debate
- Creating caricatures of those we disagree with
have at their root the inability to hold our elected officials accountable. We send officials to D.C. to represent the people of their district. But how can we ever tell if they’re doing that? There is no mechanism to compare what the individuals in a community believe and how their elected officials vote.
I created BetterDistricts to try and do something about this. You can either vote on the bills that are in Congress, sending a signal as to how you would like to be represented or you can create a proposal to put forward.
Some timely proposals this week as we start to deal with changes to healthcare:
- Should we repeal the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare)?
- Should we allow everyone to be able to access Medicaid?
- Should we allow the federal government to negotiate prices for Medicaid?
- Should we continue federal funding of Planned Parenthood?
Let me know what you think.